Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Coop

Ok, so I have officially started building a new and improved chicken coop. The old chicken coop in the barn stall isn't secure enough and the poor girls are being slaughtered in mass! Anyway, this new coop is a much larger project than one would think. It will keep me busy for a few days. I will be posting photos as progress takes place; these are the first ones.



These are the holes (covered) for the posts. It has been so cold that I needed to place an insulator over the holes so they wouldn't freeze. It would cause chaos for the cement post mix. I chose cardboard boxes as the insulation. They worked beautifully.



This is a photo of the foundation in place and leveled.



This is a photo of yours truly pausing for a photo shoot for the missus. I was in the middle of securing the plywood with screws.



Savannah was a big help today. She helped snap chalk lines on the plywood. She remembered how to do that from when I was home for r and r in April last year. Thanks Savannah.



This is a photo of the foundation as I left it today. I finished with the screws in the plywood, cement post mix in all the holes and filled them with straw so the concrete won't freeze during curing. Not a bad day. Tomorrow is church, thus giving the concrete time to really set before I whale away on it on Monday. Yea!!!

1 comment:

Nat said...

I'm very impressed with your building skills.